What do you know about the proposed purple line that runs through the UMD campus?
It seems that most College Park residents and UMD students that I interviewed had a good idea of what the Purple Line was about. Town residents made remarks about how "they" have been talking about building the purple line and how it'll take "them" years to actually build it. Who are "they" and what interests do "they" represent? Who really has the ultimate authority concerning where the purple line will be built?
1 comment:
I first started to hear about the Purple Line last semester, my first semester. I was aware that the Diamondback did many articles on it's proposal, but I didn't really do any further research. I knew that I was opposed to the idea, and maybe WMATA did this before I got here, but if not I think that they really need to take the students' & faculty opinions into consideration, considering we will be the ones primarily using the line. I have never received any mailings or emails or anything from WMATA - they could even send out things through the university. If this is going to happen, the two are going to have to work together anyways, why not start now? Also, I think that many students will be vehemently opposed to the extensive construction that this is going to need. Obviously, that's just a fact of life when you build something, but it will not go unheard. I hear kids complain about the construction on the football stadium every day, and to be honest, I don't really think that that construction affects anyone's life. The construction of the Purple Line will require students to figure out how to get from one side of the campus to the other, especially the underclassmen who live on North Campus but have classes on South Campus.
Post a Comment